Do it yourself
|screenshot of the p5js sketch running. click the image to enlarge|
- We decomposed a phrase of 5 beats in a phrase of 3 beats and a phrase of 2 beats making a rhythm x..x.
- Then we further decomposed the phrase of 3 beats into a phrase of 2 beats followed by a phrase of 1 beat.
- We can substitute this refined 3 beat phrase in our original rhythm of 5 = 3+2 beats to get a rhythm consisting of 5 = (2 + 1) + 2 beats: x.xx.
- I hope it's clear by now that by choosing how long to continue using Euclid's algorithm, we can decide how fine-grained we want our rhythms to become.
- This is where the max pattern length slider comes into play.